Sara Clayton — UX Designer based in Seattle

Molecular Theranostics Website

www.mtheranostics.com

I got involved in the redesign of this website after the CEO found me through a referral. I worked with a developer in redesigning the site as well as their logo and branding.

RoleDesigner DateJanuary 2018 to March 2018 (3 months)
ForRedesigning Molecular Thernostics' website.
When it comes to cancer treatment, doctors tend to over-prescribe medicine for treatment. With the technology that Molecular Theranostics has come up with, they hope to be able to provide more accurate prescriptions for cancer treatment. This will not only help to reduce costs for patients, but will also make cancer treatment safer and more accurate in the long-run. Client Interview When I first spoke with the team at Molecular Theranostics, they were looking to redesign their website before starting talks with potential investors. They thought that the way the site was currently, investors may not take them as seriously. Design Critique Unfortunately, no site analytics were available for me to work with, so I jumped right into doing an audit of their current site. In addition to critiquing the current design, I looked into the content available on the site and realized that a few of the pages didn’t add very much to the site holistically. I suggested removing these pages for the time being. Problem
Language and images used throughout the site are not understood to those outside of the medical/healthcare industry. People likely leave the site not quite understanding what Molecular Theranostics does. Unfortunately, due to the lack of content and a product (at this stage), the site is a bit limited.

Solution
Suggest that copy be revised to be more understandable – how would you explain what Molecular Theranostics does to a 12-year-old? From a visual design perspective, the site should be made cleaner with more appropriate imagery. This site will also have Google Analytics running. I’m also looking to provide suggestions on future work and next steps.
Design explorations I started wireframing the pages as well as ideas for logos, which the CEO requested later on. I went ahead and tweaked some of the copy to make it more understandable to users. In order to get second opinions on some of the logo ideas, I also polled the HH Design group on Facebook for feedback and suggestions. After exchanging ideas with the team, we landed on a logo that the CEO came up with. Based on the logo, I adjusted the colors and typeface I was using for the site. Final design The result of of our exchanges with the team was a clean design that everyone was happy with. Learnings Because this site does not have as nearly as many pages as other sites I’ve worked on, this was a fairly smooth process. If anything, this was an instance of clients not quite knowing what they wanted until they started seeing different designs so my expectations of what they might have wanted ended up changing the closer we got to finishing. Next steps Since there was a bit of a scramble to get the site live, mobile designs (as shown above) will be implemented in the next few weeks. One thing I would have liked to do more of is user testing, so if the CEO and the team are open to it, I would suggest showing the new site to people and getting their feedback on it.